Monday, January 17, 2011

Making bows for Princesses!

    2 Nights ago my cousin Reagan called me. She was in Branson visiting her grandparents, aunts and uncles. Her aunt and uncle are really involved with mission work in Ethiopia. They actually have adopted a little girl (Zoe) from Ethiopia. Karie (her aunt) is going to Korah, Ethiopia next month to help and minister to sweet young girls who live in this impoverished community. She is going to be delivering headbands and bows to these girls who have nothing. They prize these small gifts because for most of them its the best thing they have. Reagan knows that I love to make bows and thought that I might be able to make some for the girls of Korah. She told me a little bit about where and who these bows were going to and I immediately said "YES". After I got off the phone with Reagan I decided to do a little research on Korah and I was shocked at what I learned.
   
    Korah started out as a leaper colony and is now a breeding ground for HIV/AIDS because prostitution is becoming more and more rampant. The people of Korah send their CHILDREN to the nearby landfill to collect anything that seems edible. To survive, these families consume food that others throw away. The highlight of every morning is trying to chase down the first dump truck to find the "fresher" trash. Usually violent fights will break out when people start preying on this trash like vultures. This is how these people live.
As I read all of these articles on Korah I began to picture my sweet baby in those conditions and that there are moms just like me that have to fight to survive every single day to protect their little ones.
   
    When Karie (Reagans aunt) goes to Korah and delivers all of the bows and headbands she is going to put each and every headband on each girl and look them in the eye and pray a blessing upon them. She said that she "wants them to feel like a PRINCESS". I think EVERY SINGLE GIRL needs to feel like a Princess even if they live in the middle of a dump.
   
    So ladies..... I know that a ton of yall are "Miss Crafty Pants" so if any of you feel the urge to help out with this ministry by either making bows, flowers or felt flowers (or anything else you can put on a headband) please comment or email me and I can give you all of the information you need to help.

Pictures tell a thousands words, watch the video below and it will tell you a little more about Korah.




9 comments:

  1. Girl, you are going to help those little girls feel a better about themselves just with a simple headband!! YOU are truly making a difference! Keep it up :) Praying for your family heading over there! <3

    Much love,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad. :( And such a wonderful thing you're doing. Makes me wish more than ever that I really DID have a crafty bone in my bod. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing you are doing! I almost cried when I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to show this to a couple bow makers I know. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to contribute! I make a number of different hair accessories and would love to share. I live in California, so I'm not sure how to coordinate this with you, but here is my e-mail. Please contact me and I'll start!
    trinatreschic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me wish I were a little crafty. You go ahead on, girl, and do your thing! Those little girls are going to feel so special, even if it's just for that moment in time. You're doing a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing ministry! All sweet girls should have a beautiful BIG :) bow! Oh' and I curl Kennedy's hair. Both my girls have stick straight hair, so I curl their hair every morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is so sad and heartbreaking. To think that people live like that and then we are so spoiled here. You are SO sweet to help and I can't imagine how amazing those girls are going to feel! I wish I made bows...I would definitely help if I knew how to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made some headbands with the girls when we were in Branson and I'm not crafty-- not at all-- but I can put some scraps of felt together that don't look too bad. Thank you so much for helping Kari! I know she truly appreciates when women join with her to mother the motherless.

    Kari will be taking more trips to visit orphans and widows if your readers ever want to be apart! Michael goes with her to Uganda in June- imagine my Michael-the little kid magnet with all those beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete